Cubs fall to Rockies in offensive duel
José Quintana made his first start of spring training Tuesday, allowing 3 runs over 2 innings. But it was the offense that stole the show for both teams at Salt River Fields with the Rockies mounting a 9th-inning comeback to claim an 11-10 victory over the Cubs.
The Cubs lineup smacked around nine different Rockies pitchers to the tune of 17 hits and 10 runs.
Here were the main highlights:
- Ian Happ got the scoring started with a leadoff homer, his second blast of the spring.
- Willson Contreras gave the Cubs the lead for good with a 2-run single in the 4th inning.
- Outfielder Donnie Dewees added some cushion with a 3-run blast in the 5th inning.
- Happ was also mic’d up as he enjoyed a big day at the plate (2-for-2, HR, 2 RBI, BB) and made a nice catch on an “unnecessary dive.”
- After coming out of the game, Contreras chatted with Marquee Sports Network’s Taylor McGregor about his offseason activities and what it’s like playing for David Ross.
- Nico Hoerner collected three hits in Tuesday’s win, but will he start the season in the big leagues or require more seasoning in the minors?