Cubs taking ‘smart approach’ in shutting down Seiya Suzuki
Seiya Suzuki’s balky left ring finger continues to act up, so the Cubs will take the prudent approach and shut the outfielder down for about a week.
The idea is to calm down the swelling and pain in the finger. After a period of rest, Suzuki and the Cubs will try to ramp up from there.
“He’s trying to work out, push it a little bit and it still is lingering a little bit,” David Ross said Sunday in New York. “[He’s] probably 85-90%. I think we all came to the conclusion that it’s not smart to have a setback in what we’re trying to do.
“No real timetable. We just want to be patient with it. He tried to push it every single day and it just didn’t make a lot of sense.
Suzuki has been out since injuring the finger on May 26 in Cincinnati.
He had been ramping up baseball activity, including taking batting practice last Tuesday in Baltimore.
“He’s seen multiple doctors,” Ross said. “I think we’ve got a good idea. We’re trying to balance that with his willingness to push through some stuff and just trying to take the smart approach.”
The 27-year-old outfielder is hitting .245/.344/.432 on the season (.775 OPS).