Pedro Strop held out of camp for breaking COVID-19 protocols
MESA, Ariz. — Pedro Strop’s spring hit a setback Sunday afternoon when it was confirmed that he would be held out of camp due to breaking COVID-19 protocols, team sources said.
“It’s just a good reminder that we gotta continue to follow protocols,” David Ross said. “It’s easy to get in this environment and relax. We did such a good job last year following protocols. It’s a reminder for him, us and we’ll make an announcement again tomorrow just to the guys when they’re here together, just we’ve gotta continue to stay diligent because it’s real and we gotta follow protocols. Even a couple of days setback, we don’t know how long that’s gonna be for Stropy.”
Strop was pictured in a now-deleted Instagram post with Cleveland’s Franmil Reyes and others. Reyes and José Ramírez also were being held out of Cleveland camp for their role in breaking COVID-19 protocols.
“It’s just one of those if your friends are going out and you sit inside and you don’t wanna be the one, I talked to Strop, you don’t wanna be the one that says something,” Ross said. “We gottta stay diligent with the [rules]. There is outdoor dining. MLB I think let that loose on the 3rd, March 3.
“It is a perk to spring training, out here all the great restaurants, but you just can’t go in. You can’t eat inside. The numbers are real about how this thing spreads indoors. That’s why we’re doing all these outdoor activities and trying to do as much as much as we can outdoors because of those numbers.”
Ross wouldn’t speculate on any further punishment.
“I don’t think there is, from what I understand,” Ross said. “You just, you’re gonna have to sit out, which is almost punishment enough for a guy that’s trying to make the team, right? That’s a big deal.”