Cubs News

The Compound hits the road: Ian Happ, Dakota Mekkes share road trip adventure from Phoenix to Chicago

3 years agoAndy Martinez

For one weekend, “The Compound” hit the road.

Well, one half of it is at least.

Ian Happ and Dakota Mekkes, a Cubs prospect who spent 2019 in Triple-A Iowa, one half of the quartet of Cubs that lived in a Phoenix-area home dubbed “The Compound”, hit the road to Chicago on Friday. Happ and Mekkes kept fans up to date on their travels via their social media accounts, providing traffic, music and food updates.

Things got off to a slow start on the trip, with Mekkes and Happ getting stuck in traffic – after enduring a 20-minute wait at a Starbucks drive-thru.

But the duo kept their morale high, even if Happ misspelled the word, much to his frustration.

The pair updated fans a few hours later as they hoped to reach Amarillo, Texas to catch some sleep. They waited for food at an Applebee’s, while suffering from some “dehydration” because Happ didn’t pick up water for he and Mekkes.

“That’s my bad,” Happ admitted. “But, morale is as high as it could be. Amarillo here we come.”

Mekkes and Happ listened to their podcast on the trip, too.

At 12:37 a.m., Happ provided the update that they had made it to their destination as planned.

Zack Short, another Cubs prospect who spent parts of 2019 at Double-A Tennessee and Iowa and one of the other members of the Compound, followed along to the updates closely, too.

Happ and Mekkes started off day two of the trip in high spirits after some coffee, breakfast tacos and listening to “Amarillo by Morning” by George Strait.

Mekkes, who had been doing all of the driving in videos that Happ had posted, shared “rare footage of Ian Happ behind the wheel.” The duo were snacking on some fruit snacks, something Mekkes said he hadn’t had “since 8th grade, maybe.”

Mekkes and Happ listened to plenty of country music on the trip.

But they also saw the effects of the long road trip on day two.

Happ was behind the wheel again on day three, as the pair were finally in Illinois. They did hit an early setback in day three, like in day one, involving coffee. Happ wasn’t content with Starbucks coffee so they went to two other coffee shops that ended up being closed.

“That’s an extra 20 minutes because he just can’t handle Starbucks coffee,” Mekkes said. “It isn’t good enough for his palette.”

“[The] time wasted was not worth it, unfortunately,” Happ admitted.

Mekkes kept his shoe game strong even while in the car.

Sunday, the pair had finally arrived back in Chicago, with the final update tweet sent out about 50 hours after their first tweet.

The pair will have more details on the trip in an upcoming podcast episode of the Compound. It’s worth a listen if the tweets were anything to judge on.

Don’t Miss Out On The Action!

Sign up for the Marquee Sports Network Newsletter today for all the latest Cubs news, plus upcoming Marquee programming and much more!

Newsletter Signup
Consent *
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.