Cubs tie Reds
The Cubs escaped Goodyear with a tie Wednesday afternoon after a 2-run rally in the top of the 9th inning against the Reds.
The Cubs entered the frame down 6-4, but plated a pair of runs on a throwing error by Cincinnati first baseman Matt Davidson.
Here were the highlights from the game:
- Superfan Jillian “mom’s the Cubbies” from the front row, cheering on Ian Miller and Trent Giambrone and then chatting with Taylor McGregor during the game.
- Javy Baez got the scoring started with an RBI single to knock in Kris Bryant in the 1st inning.
- David Bote was mic’d up during the game and had big shoes to fill.
- It was a big day for the Cubs’ Craigs, as first base coach/catching instructor Craig Driver joined the broadcast to detail his work with the team’s backstops and closer Craig Kimbrel made his spring debut. Kimbrel allowed a homer, but also struck out two in an inning of work.
- McGregor also caught up with Albert Almora Jr. who discussed his friendship with Ian Happ and the Cubs’ recent “Outfielders Dinner.”
- Tyler Chatwood started the game for the Cubs, striking out 5 in 3 solid innings.
- How does Jason Kipnis fit into the Cubs mix in 2020?
- If the Cubs are looking for some more depth on the back end of the roster, here’s an option:
In spite of this amazing @WatchMarquee footage, the @Cubs & new Manager @D_Ross3 refuse to invite me to Spring Training. Their loss. A simple RT could help a 40 yr old man start his career in baseball. No telling which GM might see this. God Bless. pic.twitter.com/nVjWepn9Cl— Roy Wood Jr- Ex Jedi (@roywoodjr) March 4, 2020